To Whom It May Concern:
We are reaching out to you to share the story of Noil Petroleum and how we were defrauded by a group of con artists, causing us almost to lose our entire business. By explaining what happened, it is our hope we can repair the damage done and encourage new business.
The story involves Lev Aslan Dermen (who alternately went by the name Levon Termendzhyan) along with two brothers, Isaiah and Jacob Kingston. From the years 2010 to 2016, the trio created a scheme where they shipped millions of gallons of biodiesel to create the appearance that qualifying renewable fuel was being produced and sold.
The names they chose for the scam, Noil Energy Group and Noil Petro, was close enough to ours to create a veneer of legitimacy to this nefarious endeavor. Not only were they using our company name, but they also stole names of staff members to enable them to order fuel and talk with representatives, often receiving preferential treatment.
All in all, they ended up defrauding the U.S. Government out of $1 billion and damaging our brand “Noil.”
Recently, a jury found Dermen guilty of conspiracy to commit mail fraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and money laundering concealment. He is facing a maximum of 30 years in prison; Isaiah and Jacob Kingston also pleaded guilty and face 20-30 years.
While justice may have been served, I fear that damage to the Noil brand will be long-lasting.
Noil Petroleum Corporation has been around for over 60 years. The founders started it with one gas station and grew it to more than 30 Shell and Amoco stations around Chicago and surrounding areas. From there, we developed the company to become one of the top fuel supply companies for the United States.
Our heart and soul are invested in this company, and when we discovered the scheme in 2018, we were personally devastated. Ever since that date, it has been a long, painful road to recovery.
We are reaching out to every fuel trade order desk to demonstrate our commitment to running an honest business. I want you to be aware of some of the services we can provide:
● Fuel supply, procurement, and conversion for planes, trucks, boats, and more.
● An extremely efficient risk control platform to help reduce volatility in fuel prices.
● Financing that is fully compliant and transparent.
● Comprehensive fuel purchasing options that can save companies thousands of dollars every year.
For your reference, I have attached a couple of recent news articles on the Dermen/Kingston plot, arrest, and conviction. We will say that the story does make for a compelling lunchtime read:
- Yahoo! Finance, LA Businessman Guilty In $1 Billion Biodiesel Tax Scam
- RiskScreen.com, Polygamy, bribes, luxury cars, foreign countries and a $ 511 million biofuel fraud
- Los Angeles Daily News, Commerce-based fuel company owner charged in $511 million tax credit scheme
- Biodiesel Magazine, Dermen found guilty in $1 billion biodiesel tax fraud scheme
Thank you very much for your time. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out.
I look forward to hearing from you and doing business together again.
Steve Neely, CEO of Noil Petroleum Corp.